AUTOMATICS was born from a collector’s craze for plastic toys, from the curiosity of taking old devices to bits to see how they work, from the physical urge to build things with your hands, from a love of action and adventure films and wanting to bring a smile of complicity to viewers’ faces.
It is an artistic project aimed at everyone, open in concept and adaptable to anywhere. Scenes ensconced in obsolete computer monitors using plastic toys connected to small mechanical devices show a sequence of movement that viewers can activate.
AUTOMATICS is an exhibition in movement, a poetic entertainment, the curtain raiser to a theatre show, an intimate corner of a bar, a pleasant mechanical surprise, a space of freakishness, animated inaction at a festival … and it only needs a sheltered space, light sockets and the urge to press a RED BUTTON.
AUDIENCE: General audience
AVAILABLE LANGUAGES: Without text
SPATIAL REQUIREMENTS: Street or indoor space
OUTDOOR TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Open space of around 100 m2 on flat ground or flooring.
- 1 extension box with a 220v Shucko outlet (2 kw maximum capacity) or a self-powered generator if there is no access to the power grid.
- 4 x 1000 kg weights or the possibility of anchoring the dome’s perimeter using 4 mechanical anchors or stakes.
- Night time surveillance and metal fences to enclose 10×10 metre space.
- Access for a van-type vehicle to the set-up space and nearby parking.
- 2 people to set up and strike the installation
- Set-up time: 7 hours
- Strike time: 3 hours
- Author and creator
- Production and management
Obsidiana, artist accompaniment
- La Mostra d’Igualada (Catalunya)
- Fira de Titelles de Lleida (Catalunya)
- Buskers Bern Street Music Festival (Switzerland)